Thursday 7 April 2016

Personal Learning Networks

Activity 5.1.1

This week we had a presentation from Joyce Seitzinger from Melbourne on Personal Learning Networks. This was one of the most interesting lectures, it provided a real eye open to how much technology is available, how it can be used to learning and research topics.

With the amount of technology available it can be quite overwhelming, as I am user of Facebook and LinkedIn the rolling news feeds at times can be quite intrusive. I have often save links on Facebook so I can review them at a later date, rather than searching google I use Facebook to filter and follow communities , one interesting Facebook page I am learning from is eLearning industry. I try to limit my time on Facebook especially during study time as otherwise I will spend more time on social media.

I don't believe I am using my PLN effectively. I will be reviewing the filters and researching where I can show my portfolio. I have no tools for filing websites or RSS feeds.



Activity 5.4.1

Below is my PLN.

I am mainly a resident in Facebook and Skype, I use these as way of communicating with colleagues overseas, for learning and training purposes. I use Facebook as a filter for ELearning communities.

I also used LinkedIn for the same purpose as Facebook for filtering ELearning communities, for following organisations and for research. I use Lync for training and conference calls, as well as EIT Online for course related material.

For personal learning as visitor I used BBC New and NZHerald for learning about world wide news. I used Blogger and Wikipedia as a visitor and only institutional purposes. I have recently discover ELearning Brothers website as a educational resource for creating Elearning objects.

I don't believe my PLN as thorough as it could be, I believe I could have more institutional resources. Having been out of education for 10 plus years and working, I feel I have fallen behind in learning technology available. Starting on this course has really opened my eyes to the new technology that was not available when I was studying at university.

My LinkedIn profile and Facebook profile is the most use to my learning. I use both of these to connect with elearning communities, organisations and colleagues. I believe this will have the edge in terms of connectivity.



1 comment: